Skip to main content

Austria - Action as Service Reflection May 2019

As the title represents, my name is Paul Bulfon and I am part of the ERASMUS+ connected with the environment group. In this reflection I am going to discuss point two on the third page of the “Service as Action MYP.pdf”, undertake challenges that develop new skills. Since I am in the ERASMUS+ group I have undertaken a few challenges which developed new skills. In total there were two main activities which prove this point perfectly.
The first one was the trip to Poland (Lublin) two years ago. It was my first trip which I attended alone (without my family) and I stayed in a host family, which means that I did not know them beforehand. This experience was a little bit fighting at first, but I was very lucky with my host family and was able to live relatively normal compared to the lifestyle I live at home. This trip for sure helped me with a few new skills. The main one is being a risk taker. I feel like I was already a risk taker before, but this experience improved my skill of being a risk taker even more, because I was able to see how kind and helpful any kind of family (even if you do not know them) can be to you.
I am sure this event also gave me the necessary confidence to attend the second trip, to Greece in 2018. Once again I was very luck with my host family. They were very nice to me and I was able to build up a close friendship with Konstantinos (my hostchild). I am honest, the first two days were a little bit hard, as I was a little bit homesick and missed my family. But as time passed, I was able to enjoy the time I spent there more and more… and when time came to leave Greece again and go back to Austria - I was kind of sad, but knew that I would meet him sooner or later again.
Both of the trips gave me a few skills which I either developed because of the events, or at least the skills were boosted because of the happenings. As mentioned, being a risk taker is one of the things I boosted. Another is my self esteem, as I was able to get along very well with both of the host families I had in the past. Not only the child, also the parents. In addition my open mindedness has surely improved, as the two events surley impact my future choices, depending on whether I should do another trip similar to these or not, and right now the answer would definitely be YES.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GTI Event in Carinthia happening in Module 4 Meeting - iSC

image link:https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiYoM7lyqThAhVMDewKHejIAbcQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fakross.info%2F%3Fk%3DW%25C3%25B6rtherseetreffen%2B2018&psig=AOvVaw2TLtdh_ftBSlSEuDLZWcWd&ust=1553853754261522 GTI Event in Carinthia What is it? This event happens every year around the end of May, in which people from all around Europe come to visit Carinthia (especially Velden, near the lake of the Worthersee, close to our school) for a meeting of GTI Golf Volkswagen. Basically, people (mostly youth) who own a Volkswagen Golf take part in this wordwide best-known GTI meeting, in which GTI fans are welcomed with a spectacular programme and accompanied events to celebrate this event.  Here below is a link to the main website for the GTI Wortherseetreffen for 2019 (if you would like to know more about this event): https://woertherseetreffen.at/en/

FRIDAYS FOR FUTURE IN LJUBLJANA

On Friday, 15th of March we went to Congress Square because there was a protest against increasing of climate change, that was organised by Slovenian teenagers and young adults. The project was started by Greta Thunberg in Sweden. She stopped attending school on Fridays and she didn’t plan to come back until The Swedish Government did something about climate change and pollution. Soon her friends and other teenagers all over the world started to join her. The 15th of March 2019 was the day people from more than 100 countries gathered and protested for better future. In Ljubljana there were more than 9 thousand protesters. We interviewed a few people that attended the protest. We asked why are they here, what Planet B means to them and if they think so many people will make a difference. The questions we asked:  Why are you here today? Do you think so many people will make a difference? What is Planet B to you? The answers we got: - To help accomplish certain changes a...

Action and Service Reflection May 2019- Austria

Undertake challenges that develop new skills The Erasmus+ Connected with the Environment Group basically focuses on collaborating and interacting with 4 other schools around Europe. It is a way to bring students together (with different cultural backgrounds and traditions) and challenge them in grouping with the other members, working effectively with one another and learning from each other through different ways. This is done through the different meetings which are organized for each of the four modules which every group from each school has to accomplish different objectives which might include: raising awareness, taking action, gathering data, researching, investigating and many more depending on the module itself and the specific objective that the student has decided to work on. As a member of this group, I think that the most important (if not one of the most frequent learning experiences used) which students have to face with is to undertake challenges and developing new...